Saturday, July 18, 2009

Just keep moving....

They say the best way to deal with muscles that are sore from exercising is to keep moving. Personally, I think the best way to deal with them is to soak in a hot tub with a glass of wine, but what do I know?

This morning, as I walked out the door for my morning run I told my family I'd be longer than usual because I probably wouldn't run as much--plus I added about half a mile to my normal circuit. I'm sore from riding the other night and running this week, after over a week of doing neither.

So I started out on my route, thinking, "Ugh. This sucks. I don't want to do this. I'm sore. I want to go get in a hot tub with a glass of wine." However, it's not even 10AM yet, so wine is out of the question...oh, and I have to lose 10 pounds in the next month. Suck it up, sister.

I got to the point where my first running leg starts, gave myself a quick pep talk and struck off at a jog. It hurt. Every bounce introduced me to every muscle I neglected while I was out of town. I thought, "This sucks." However, I made it through that leg and rewarded myself with the usual walk break.

When I got to the next leg, I thought, "OK, if I can just get through this one, I get a good break before the next one. I can do it!" I struck off again, and this time things didn't hurt as much. I was still not the most comfortable I've ever been, but it was easier than the first leg. I made it all the way through and got to the next walk break.

By the third leg, which is a new one that takes me across a wide street, I knew I was going to get through my whole routine. I even pushed myself to run just a little bit further on that leg, and I completed the rest of my route. I was hot and sweaty and tired by the end...but I'm supposed to be! That means I'm burning all kinds of calories! Whee! 27 days to go to Region 3....

No comments: